Departure Confirmed at End of Season
Kevin De Bruyne has revealed his surprise that Manchester City chose not to offer him a contract extension. The 33-year-old Belgian midfielder confirmed earlier this month that he would leave the Etihad Stadium at the end of the season when his current deal expires.
Despite being one of the club's all-time greats, De Bruyne revealed that there were no talks at any stage throughout the year regarding a new contract.
"I didn't get any offer during the year—they just decided," De Bruyne told reporters. "Of course, I was a little surprised, but I just have to deal with it. Honestly, I still feel like I can play at this level, as I'm showing, but I also understand that clubs have to make decisions."
A Decorated Career at the Etihad
De Bruyne has been at the center of City's period of unprecedented success since joining from Wolfsburg in 2015. He has claimed 16 major honors, including six Premier League titles and the 2023 Champions League.
However, ongoing injuries have limited his playing time. He missed nearly five months of last season and has started just 19 matches in all competitions this season.
Club Struggles Could Have Been a Factor in the Decision
De Bruyne suggested that the team's inconsistent form this season may have been a consideration for the club not offering him a new deal. But City's recent 2-0 win over Everton kept their Champions League qualification hopes alive.
Announcing the news on social media, De Bruyne wrote:
"Whether we like it or not, it's time to say goodbye."
Manager Pep Guardiola also spoke about the tough call, saying:
"It was not easy for me to tell him his City career won't continue."
Open to Future Opportunities
Though De Bruyne has yet to decide on his next step, he made it clear that he's prioritizing his future based on both footballing ambitions and family considerations. He has been linked with a potential switch to Major League Soccer in the United States in reports, though a stay in the Premier League has not been ruled out.
"I feel I have a lot to give still," he said. "I'm not 25 any more, I realize that, but I still believe I can do the job. I'm open to anything. I'll look at the whole picture—sporting, family, what's best for myself and my family."
"I love to compete still. Even in practice, I want to beat the guys."
What's Next for Manchester City?
Manchester City return to action against Aston Villa in a crucial Premier League clash on Tuesday. They also have Nottingham Forest still to play in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley on Sunday, April 27, as they bid to finish the season in style despite the impending loss of one of their all-time greats.

0 Comments